Friday, January 9, 2009

Week one of the "Nothing New" resolution

For those of you who read my 9 goals for 2009, I'm going to give you an update on #6 - Live More Sustainably/Simply, more specifically, the part of that where Joe and I don't buy anything new for 3 months (unless it can be consumed or depleted, or it is second hand)...

So, week one seemed pretty easy. We had some realizations, bought a couple things that were "legal" according to our rules, and I became a crazy mess noticing all the unsustainable things in my life.

Realizations -
1. Sunday morning - Joe says, "Oh, let me see the adds for Circuit city to see if they have any good movies on sale." Then he says "oh, nevermind."

2. There are days when we eat out, and I'll admit, I went to Taco Bell to grab some food for Joe and I to eat on his lunch break. Now, I don't normally eat fast food, but I'm just being totally honest, sometimes I crave it. I was proud of myself for remembering to bring some drinks for us from home, as Taco Bell has giant plastic cups with their meals and that, in my mind, would count as something new. So as I waited for my food I started thinking about all the plastic cups that they give out each day. Do people recycle them? Why aren't there recycling bins in Taco Bell for the cups? Wouldn't it be cost effective for Taco Bell to have people voluntarily recycle them and then wash and reuse them?

3. I am almost out of the stuff (I call it stuff because I really don't know how to describe it) I put in my hair to make it smooth and shiny. I could justify buying more because it is used up or depleted, but then I look at the plastic container that it comes in. Do I really need it? I wish there were more refillable products. If you see me with dull frizzy hair, you'll know my decision.

4. A friend of mine asked me today if I wanted to go to NPS (or Market Square) this weekend. I LOVE NPS. It is a store that carries damaged or overstocked products and food (i.e., a can of spaghetti sauce broke in a box, so the whole box goes to NPS and is sold at great prices, or a shirt is dirty, so they take it there and still sell it). I told her that would be great, but I can only buy food items there, which would be ok, but not as fulfilling. It is amazing to realize how much we as a society LOVE to shop. I love to scrounge for deals, but it is still shopping. I can hardly pass up a good deal. So, I had to decline. Joe and I will just have to look at what we need and hit the thrift store instead.

5. I can't buy new running shoes for 3 more months...bummer, but I'll live.

"Legal" Purchases
1. Oil change in the truck. It needed to be done, and the truck will be more efficient because of it.

2. My stepson's birthday is next week, and so we decided that we would buy him a new gift and the party supplies (pirate themed, arrrrggg). We did NOT buy cute paper plates or napkins, but did get invitations, etc. We initially talked about having the kids in on this project, but as they are at their mom's more than they are with us, we felt it might be hard and conflicting for them. However, we are working on talking more about where are resources come from and where they go and planning a trip to the landfill (they've never been!).

3. Food - from Costco in bulk or the Crossroads Urban Community Co-op.

That's it! I'm pretty proud of us.

Other Unsustainable things I've noticed...
1. Ziploc bags - I'm my mother's daughter, and I've grown to depend on them, but my mom and I both know we need to cut back.

2. When you buy containers so you don't use Ziplocs, they come packaged in cardboard and then shrink wrapped. What is with all the shrink wrap? Its not needed.

3. I do soooo much laundry. Two adults, two kids, one puppy and one old dog have been keeping my washing machine busy. How can I reduce that?

4. Joe and I have so much stuff that we don't use. We are working on giving it away or sending it to the thrift store.

5. There are many more things we could talk about, but we'll save that for another post.

So, what do you think? Any advice for me? Any thoughts or questions? I'd love to get other people's take on this since it is a trial effort for us and my eyes are being opened to so many things. Where does one start?

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

oh wow, I'm sitting here are my computer filling my shopping cart at the REI online winter clearance sale when I decide that since the REI site is slow (likely jammed by others buying "stuff") I will check my google reader; I see your blog post; and I empty my cart. Your so right, it's not like I NEED three more beanies, really I have three beanies I could get rid of, and come on, I know how to crochet. But there were such a good deal! Gosh, I never considered myself a shopaholic and I only ever buy something is it's really on sale, but that does not mean I need.

Great post.

Andree said...

Thanks Linds. I didn't mean to sound preachy. I'm totally guilty of it as well. I love a good deal, and its really hard to make myself think if I really really need it. Even at the DI, Joe and I have to look at what we find and decide if it is needed or we just think it is cool and a good deal. Its always in the back of my head that everytime I purchase something new I am adding to the demand that more items be created. Its a toughy.

mandie said...

Have you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? Read it. Now. And. You'll have to check it out from the library. :)

Andree said...

Animal Veg Mineral is so good. I loved it. And, in fact I borrowed it when I read it last year!
I really want to try making my own cheese.

mandie said...

I bought a cheese making kit for Greg last Christmas--it's delish.

Andree said...

Oh my gosh. I think you are my hero. I'm hungry just thinking about it. :)